Thursday, July 26, 2012

1st Appointment


So of course the day I finally got a positive test, I excitedly called my OB/GYN. I wasn’t really sure what the next step would be but I was pretty anxious to find out. When I called they made an appointment for four weeks out. FOUR WEEKS! Four weeks felt like absolutely forever away! Luckily the next four weeks were going to be very busy for us. We had a trip to Hilton Head planned and a couple of trips back to Kentucky planned. So the weeks came and went and FINALLY it was time to see the doctor!

I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I was pretty nervous! I knew that God would not have blessed us with a child without having a greater plan in place for us. I also knew that we had to trust in His plan and that my worrying would not benefit, Jordan, myself or the baby. Still … I was nervous. The only evidence I had thus far that I was pregnant was a positive test. Also, I hadn’t had many symptoms at all and honestly had been feeling pretty great.

When the nurse brought me back and checked my vitals, my blood pressure was through the roof. So I tried to breathe deep and calm myself down and that helped a bit. I was so happy that the very next thing on the to-do list was an ultrasound. So finally we were about to get some other confirmation that a baby was growing inside of me! The tech immediately confirmed that there was indeed a healthy growing baby in my belly! The heartbeat was strong and steady at 171 bpm. We were able to confirm the due date of Jan 28th. I was kind of surprised that we weren’t able to hear the heartbeat, we were just able to see it on the sonogram machine. I was told that we could hear the heartbeat at our next appointment.

The doctor informed us that because everything looked so good that the chance of miscarriage was less than 1%. I was surprised that the percentage wasn’t higher but man did this information put me at ease! When we moved to Huntsville I didn’t know which doctor to see and didn’t really know anyone to get a recommendation from. So I ended up just picking an OB/GYN from the local hospital. We totally lucked out picking him, he is absolutely wonderful. Since starting to see him I have met several people that also see him and have nothing but wonderful things to say.

So four more weeks to wait until our next appointment … but many exciting events in the meantime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment